Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Countdown

Last I checked, Christmas is coming up fast. Really fast!

Here's my problem. I only got done with my job on Friday, so I haven't gotten to shopping until, well, the past few days. I currently have four gifts. I'm not sure how I'm going to get the rest by Christmas Day.

To those of you who manage to work and shop and do all sorts of other things ... this paragraph is a salute to you.

Moving on, I wish I could think of something special for all the people I care about, but sometimes it's hard. I'd love to be one of those people who makes gifts for others, putting in time and care and making something personal. But, this year at least, I didn't get there.

The funny thing is, all of this comes on the heels of me stressing out over the amount of stuff I have. Why do I have so many books? purses? shoes?

I guess I'll have to admit I don't understand the whole "stuff" thing. I know God blesses us, and I believe enjoying those blessings is okay. I know that "it is more blessed to give than to receive" (Acts 20:35). I know that there are poor people around the world who can barely get by while I'm over here in the United States stressing over the clutter in my life. And I also know that we're supposed to be focusing on God's gift of Jesus during Christmas.

How do we balance all this?

Frankly, I don't know. But I have a couple ideas where to start ...

First off, I think some Bible study is in order. I need to find out what God really says about possessions and His blessings.

Second, I think I need to just relax a little about Christmas shopping. In the long run, I don't think possessions are as important as how we view them, and focusing so much on stuff shows something is off.

So ... what are your thoughts on "stuff" this Christmas? How can we give special gifts and still focus on Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment