Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Beginning to Understand

This year, my college has been emphasizing the idea of thankfulness.

I thought I understood thankfulness. It's biblical, so we're supposed to do it. Simple enough, right? I mean, truthfully, I didn't like feeling pushed to be thankful.

Then while preparing for a small-group devo, I read Colossians 3.

"And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him." ~ Colossians 3:15-17

That's just a bit of the thankfulness in this chapter. And it finally started to make sense to me. Thankfulness shouldn't be something I do so I can say I did it. Thankfulness can change my life.

Thankfulness is part of being content in whatever situation I'm in (Philippians 4:11).

Thankfulness affects how I forgive--I'm to forgive as God forgave me (Ephesians 4:32)! 

Thankfulness helps me keep my focus off of myself. My life isn't about me, but it's about the God Who is so good to me!

Thankfulness is no longer just my college's theme. It's a goal of my own heart now. I'm tired of my old attitude--the one that said that life was about me, my comfort, my success. 

I want to live my life thanking the God Who granted me life eternal!


"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."
John 17:3

No comments:

Post a Comment