Wednesday, October 12, 2016

On Being Known

I've never been able to nail down my "personality type." I've tried many a test, but nothing seems to accurately read who I am.

There are two things I can tell you, though. I am what most people would call an introvert. I am also fairly self-aware. If I behave in a certain way I can usually figure out the good, bad, or ugly of why I did it.

That being said, I've been convicted as of late. I don't think introversion is wrong, but I think it can hide subtle sins ....

When I meet you at church and don't say more than "hi," I'm afraid I might say the wrong thing and then you'll think I'm dumb.

Pride masquerades as introversion.

If I don't initiate a friendship, maybe I just don't know if you want to be friends. So I let you try it. I make you take all the risk of extending yourself to get to know me.

Selfishness hides under a veneer of introversion.

Why don't I open up more and share about myself? Because I think you'd be disinterested. You wouldn't care, clearly ....

Judgment and believing the worst about people puts on the acceptable title of "introvert."

Let me repeat. I do not think that being an introvert is wrong. God made some people to need more alone time than others, and that can be used for His will.

But I do know that I cannot justify all my actions by a subjective personality label. It's time for me to be honest about my behavior. Own up to the bad, change some things, embrace the good.

So here's me. Being open. Knowable. And desiring to change and love others more like Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment