Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Light ... and Darkness

I started reading 1 John because of a Facebook debate.

I normally try to avoid those.

Anyway, I started reading and re-reading the book of 1 John mostly because I was confused by something someone said about it, and I wanted to see for myself what was actually in there.

What stuck out to me didn't really pertain to the debate, but it has stuck with me and is slowly transforming my thinking.

Light and darkness.

There are only two options.

The first chapter of 1 John makes it pretty clear: God is light. And His children walk in light. Now, obviously this is symbolic language--it's not saying Christians can never turn off a light switch without sinning. Here's the best summary I can give of it at the moment:

God is righteous. Holy. Pure. Lovely. Unblemished. Good.

His children are to be daily becoming more like Him.

This has been coming back to me in my actions the last few days. When I'm with my friends, do my actions reflect light or darkness? When I interact with the others on my campus (most of whom are in that awkward stage between friends and complete strangers ... small campus problems ...) am I being loving? Pure in my words and thoughts?

1 John ended up challenging my spiritual walk more than I ever expected. And I'm super thankful it did.

"This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin." ~ I John 1:5-7
 



No comments:

Post a Comment